CRA conducted two surveys about the COVID-19 disruption in summer 2020. The first surveyed computer science faculty members who made the transition from teaching in-person to teaching online as the result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The survey asked faculty members about their perceptions of the challenges in moving to emergency online instruction and also about planning for the fall 2020 term. In early July, CRA surveyed the chairs of doctoral and non-doctoral departments. They were asked about the impact of COVID-19 so far on their faculty, department operations, student job searches, and budgets. They were also asked about their expectations and concerns for fall 2020. Both reports are available here. CRA Director of Statistics and Evaluation Betsy Bizot recently presented the survey results at the ACM Education Advisory Committee Meeting. Click here to view the clip of her presentation.
Computing Research News
CRA invites the academic computing community to complete a brief survey about the broadening participation in computing (BPC) plans required for proposals submitted to some programs of the NSF CISE Directorate. Specifically, we are interested in learning whether your academic department has created, or plans to create, a Departmental BPC Plan to assist faculty PIs submitting Medium and Large CISE Core Programs, Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace, and Cyber-Physical Systems project proposals, which all require an approved BPC plan by the time of award.
The deadline for completion is 9:00 AM ET, June 5, 2020.
The annual Data Buddies Survey came to a close in February of 2020. CERP wishes to thank the 134 institutions and departments that made data collection possible, with special appreciation extended to Elite Data Buddies who received at least a 20% response rate from survey respondents.
The annual CRA Data Buddies Survey will open October 2019. If your department is not yet a member, sign up here to learn more about your students and how your department compares to other similar departments.
In fall 2017, CRA will be conducting the usual Taulbee Survey and a one-time Teaching Faculty Survey. The Taulbee Survey schedule will be as follows.
- By September 8: All doctoral departments will be contacted to update Taulbee user information. The academic unit head will receive an email and so will the Taulbee primary contact, if separate.
- September 13: PDF will be available for data gathering.
- September 19: Salary section opens for input.
- September 25: Main section opens for input.
- November 20: Due date for salary section.
- December 18: Preliminary salary report available to participants.
- January 8, 2018: Due date for the main Taulbee section.
- April 2018: Full Taulbee report to CRA members and participating departments.
- May 2018: Published in CRN.
If you have any questions, contact Betsy Bizot at email@example.com