Purpose of the Workshop: The CRA URMD Grad Cohort Workshop aims to increase the ranks of senior underrepresented minorities and persons with disabilities in computing research by building and mentoring nationwide communities through their graduate studies. The workshop will include a mix of formal presentations and informal discussions and social events. The inaugural CRA URMD Grad Cohort Workshop will take place March 16-17, 2018 with the generous support of sponsors from industry, the National Science Foundation, the Computing Research Association and the Association for Computing Machinery.
Thursday, March 15 (optional activities)
1:00 – 5:00 PM – Early Registration
6:00 – 8:00 PM – Reception for attendees, speakers, and sponsors
Friday, March 16
7:00 AM – The workshop officially begins with breakfast and registration
Saturday, March 17
4:00 PM workshop concludes
Registration: If you RSVP that you will be attending and an emergency arises and you cannot attend, you must notify us at least 72 hours before the workshop (midnight, March 13, 2018), or there will be a $200 cancellation fee. We received many more applications than we can support, please let us know as soon as possible if you cannot attend so that others can be accepted in your place.
Travel and Reimbursement: Your reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed by CRA through funds generously provided by our URMD Grad Cohort sponsors. Please economize as reasonably as possible. You will receive a step-by-step guide on how to complete your travel reimbursement form after the workshop. In the meantime, make your travel arrangements as soon as possible. Consider using websites such as Kayak.com or other similar travel websites.
- Keep all receipts; they are required for reimbursement.
- The reimbursement form must be submitted by March 28, 2018.
- You will not be reimbursed for your trip expenses until you have completed the evaluation survey sent after the event.
- If you are ‘local’, you may consider using train or bus services such as Greyhound or Amtrak.
- Rental cars are not a reimbursable travel arrangement.
- Please allow 4-6 weeks to receive your check via US mail.
- Optional: To receive your reimbursement funds faster, you may set up direct deposit. Complete the Direct Deposit form and email it to URMDGCReimburse@cra.org by December 15th, 2017.
For questions regarding travel arrangements contact us.
Hotel (Omni Hotel and Resort): Participants will be paired up to share a room. We do not consider roommate requests of any kind. We will make the hotel reservations and pay for your room expenses directly; however, upon arrival you will need to provide a credit card or debit card to the hotel for any incidental charges you incur such as room service, etc. Standard internet access will be provided free of charge in all guest rooms.
Airports and ground transportation: The main airport servicing this region is San Diego International Airport (SAN).
Reimbursable Ground Transportation options:
- Taxi/Uber from the SAN to the hotel is about $15 each way.
- The local shuttle is about $10 per person each way. A list of shuttles traveling to and from the airport can be found here.
- Participants may also reach the hotel by boarding the Coaster commuter train at the Amtrak Santa Fe Depot Train Station. Participants headed from the airport can reach the train station via the Metropolitan Transit System Route 992, more information can be found here.
Poster Session: There will be a Poster Session on Friday afternoon for participants to talk about their research. All invited participants are welcome to present a poster. We encourage students to take advantage of this opportunity to receive feedback on their research plans from fellow participants as well as from researchers from the sponsoring labs and nearby universities.
- Those interested in being part of the poster session must submit a title and short abstract before December 15, 2017.
- Posters must not be larger than 36” x 48″ (horizontal/vertical orientation is acceptable).
- We encourage you to print your poster as a fabric poster, for ease of travel.
- Poster printing is reimbursable, with receipt.